Feb. 13, 2018 – Town of Wayne, WI – The quick thinking of an alert neighbor likely saved a Town of Wayne home from major damage Monday morning, Feb. 12, at 11:04 a.m.
The 63-year-old neighbor looked out his window and noticed large pieces of ash falling in his yard. He then exited his home and saw heavy smoke and fire coming from the neighbor’s attached garage.
He ran over to the home with a fire extinguisher while his wife called 911. After emptying the fire extinguisher on the fire, he continued to put snow on the fire until a Washington County Sheriff’s deputy arrived with another fire extinguisher. Together, they were able to pull the combustible material away from the side of the garage and the home only received damage to the exterior siding.
Investigators made contact with the homeowner who was not on scene. The homeowner had placed fireplace ash into a garbage can at 4 a.m. that morning. Prior to that the ashes where inside a metal container outside the home for three days.
Kohlsville Fire Department also arrived on the scene and completely extinguished the fire.
The Washington County Sheriff’s office would like to extend a thank you to the concerned and quick-acting neighbor; we absolutely love when neighbors watch out for one another.