Hi guys! Looking forward to gracing this website with periodic musings, TV and movie comments, reviews and stories, contests, observations and whatever pops up in this crazy head of mine. Please remember that my contribution is just that…and doesn’t (and shouldn’t) reflect on the news content of the rest of this site.
Thanks for checking it out and keep coming back for more!
The Bee Gees, Donna Summer, KC & The Sunshine Band, Village People. For many of us, just the names start us humming songs…maybe even tapping our toes. The late 70’s. Disco was the craze. It was literally a culture. And for just as many people that fell under the spell, there was an equal number who yelled “Disco sucks!” and couldn’t stand it. Me, I loved it. But I liked pretty much any type of music. Or at least realized there is good stuff and crap in any type of music.
Which leads me to reminisce about the “good old days” – back in the late 70’s when I DJ’d at 2-G’s Disco in Barton (ahh…whatever happened to Bob & Rory Gorman?), the 80’s when Tim Phillips and I ran Phantom’s 2 Nightclub on Highway 33 East (West Bend Lakes clubhouse) and then when I helped save Pat Jerry’s in Barton at that same 2-G’s location.
Yes, I remember him asking me to be the house DJ and most of the Phantom’s crowd followed. At that exact time his phone was cut off and it was cash only for deliveries. To the rescue! What resulted was another booming business….and many more memories. I still run into people who talk about all three places.
If you lived in West Bend between 1978 and 1985 and were in your 20’s or 30’s you probably stopped at one of them. Remember? Would like to hear your stories…feel free to comment here. I’ll be adding some periodically….but right now – to help clear the cobwebs – take a look at one of my concoctions.
The official 2-G’s Disco Survey. Just like the radio stations had.
As far as I know, we were the only dance club in the state that put out their own survey every two weeks. Here’s one. Don’t worry, I’ll be posting more.
2-G’s Disco Super Survey Chart Action March 2 – 15, 1979
(1) 1. Do Ya Think I’m Sexy – Rod Stewart
(5) 2. Shake Your Body/Blame It On The Boogie – Jacksons
(3) 3. Love Vibration – Joe Simon
(22) 4. Disco Fairyland – Kitty and the Heywoods
(9) 5. Contact – Edwin Starr
(6) 6. Who Do Ya Love (LP cuts) – KC & The Sunshine Band
(20) 7. Tragedy – Bee Gees
(7) 8. YMCA – Village People
(19) 9. Superman – Herbie Mann
(14) 10. I Will Survive/Substitute – Gloria Gaynor
(4) 11. Baby I’m Burning – Dolly Parton
(13) 12. Get Down – Gene Chandler
(PK) 13. Knock On Wood – Amii Stewart
(12) 14. Mary Jane – Rick James
(16) 15. September – Earth Wind & Fire
(11) 16. Body Heat/I Love The Nightlife – Alicia Bridges
(2) 17. Le Freak – Chic
(24) 18. At Midnight – T-Connection
(25) 19. Nanu Nanu (I Wanna Get Funky Which You) – Daddy Dewdrop
(26) 20. Shake Your Groove Thing – Peaches and Herb
(21) 21. Heaven Knows – Donna Summer & Brooklyn Dreams
(28) 22. I Haven’t Stopped Dancing Yet – Gonzales
(23) 23. Fire – Pointer Sisters
(-) 24. Living It Up (Friday Night) – Bell and James
(18) 25. A Little Lovin’ – Raes
(29) 26. Holy Ghost – Barkays
(PK) 27. He’s The Greatest Dancer – Sister Sledge
(-) 28. Feed The Flame – Lorraine Johnson
(17) 29. In The Bush/Keep On Jumpin’ – Musique
(-) 30. Keep On Dancin’ – Gary’s Gang
Bob’s Picks: “(Everybody) Get Dancin’ – Bombers
“There But For The Grace Of God Go I” – Machine
Build. Boost & Buy in Barton – – Shop these local businesses
Wisconsin House Woodworks
Lake Lenwood Beach and Campground