I’m Ken Schmidt and I am running for election to the West Bend School Board. Our school district has a good reputation and much to offer our students. I would like to continue focusing on those good points and strive to make our education system the best it can be. My qualifications for being a school board member include being a long time resident of the school district and a taxpayer, earning two degrees from public universities, and having two public school teachers in my family – my wife and my daughter-in-law. I also have experience in governing an educational institution through 25-plus years as a member of the Board of Regents of Bethany Lutheran College, Mankato, Minnesota.
My goal is to promote quality education in our school district while maintaining respect for all stakeholders, including the taxpayers. I hope to champion greater accountability, transparency, and integrity in our school district and on our Board, so we can make well-informed decisions. I want to see curricula and teaching methods that prepare our students to be successful, productive citizens in the community. I would do this as I advance the following:
• Reassessing Common Core Standards and their effect on educational outcomes
• Improving our district’s test scores on the State report card
• Reviewing the guidelines for assessing the effectiveness of curriculum programs
• Increasing efficiencies in programming, staffing, and building utilization
• Adding to the escrow account for future building projects, and
• Encouraging volunteerism in our academic, arts and athletic programs.
I seek election to the West Bend School Board to accomplish the above and focus on the best interests of our students and the positives about education in our district. I hope I have earned your vote in the February 16th primary election.