August 23, 2019 – Kewaskum, WI – Community members,
The Kewaskum School Board has a vacancy. With that in mind, four have applied, in my opinion three are extremely well qualified candidates, all who submitted required paperwork by the deadline. The decision of who fills the seat now falls on the board to appoint.
One of the four candidate’s just ran for re-election this past April and was defeated. It was the will of the PEOPLE that said they wanted change, and she was voted out.
The Kewaskum School District has a board policy in place that allows the board president to appoint someone to the School Board if the vacancy is not filled within 60 days. So if the board is deadlocked, the president could appoint someone after the 60 days.
I think this policy is downright unjust!
The people have elected each one of our representatives to represent us.
One member should not get a say over the others because of a title they hold. The public did not give the board president the position, just an equal seat.
This board must come to a conclusion on one candidate for the sake of the electorate. If the board president undoes the will of the people why do we have elections? You silence the people’s voice by doing just that!
The people spoke in April and demanded change. We received change. I believe that the board should appoint someone who brings fresh ideas and focuses on the kids, not one that supported a censorship of other board members and alcohol on school grounds.
Bradley A. Petersen
Disclaimer: Opinions and letters published in http://www.washingtoncountyinsider.com are not necessarily the views of the Editor, or Publisher. The http://www.washingtoncountyinsider.com reserves the right to edit or omit copy, in accordance with newspaper policies. Letters to the Editor must be attributed with a name, address and contact phone number – names and town of origin will be printed, or may be withheld at the Editor’s discretion. During the course of any election campaign, letters to the editor dealing with election issues or similar material must contain the author’s name and street address (not PO Box) for publication.
Please also note:
London : W. Foulsham & Co., 
WCI COMMENTING RULES OF ETIQUETTE:While open and honest debate is encouraged here, Washington County Insider asks that you comply with the following rules for posting. Those who do not comply will have their posts removed and may result in being banned from commenting.
Washington County Insider will not publish comments that:
- Are considered likely to provoke, attack or offend others. This is known as “trolling.” Trollers know when they are trolling, and so do we. *See definition of “troll” below. If you notice a few consistent blog trolls disappear, you’ll know why.
- Are sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable.
- Contains inappropriate or vulgar language that is likely to offend.
- Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court.
- Advertise products or services for profit.
- Are seen to impersonate someone else.
- Repeatedly post the same or similar messages (‘spam’)
- Include personal contact details such as telephone numbers and postal or email addresses.
- Include a link or photo that has not been approved by the editor prior to posting.
- Are considered campaigning. See also “trolling” above.
- Are unrelated to the topic.
- Just because your comment doesn’t show up right away doesn’t mean you’re being censored. When you post a comment it must first go through our filtering software. If it fails, your comment goes into a queue for manual approval.
- Just because a comment or advertisement is on the site, doesn’t mean WCI endorses it.
- The above rules are not intended to stop criticism or dissenters, but rather to stop those who are incapable of participating in a civilized manner.