Sept. 28, 2017 – Town of West Bend, WI – Six area fire departments were called to a working fire at 2:45 a.m. at 6105 W. Linden Drive in the Town of West Bend on Thursday morning.
Allenton Volunteer Fire Department responded to the fire at a single-family ranch home. Other responding agencies included: Kohlsville Volunteer Fire Department, St. Lawrence Fire Company, West Bend Fire Department, Kewaskum Fire Department, Slinger Fire Department and Hartford Fire & Rescue.
The fire was contained in the basement area of the home around the dehumidifier and water softener.
UPDATE from Washington County Sheriff’s Department.
At 2:23 a.m. the Washington County Sheriff’s Office Communications Center received a 911 call from a 60-year-old Town of Addison woman indicating her home, located in the 6100 block of W. Linden Drive, was filling with smoke.
Photo courtesy Washington County Sheriff’s Department
Both occupants woke up when multiple smoke alarms activated in the home, and were able to safely evacuate. Prior to, and as first responders were arriving, the 60-year-old husband re-entered several times in an effort to retrieve property. He was later transported for smoke inhalation to St. Joseph’s Hospital and was expected to be released after additional treatment.
Allenton Fire Department responded to the scene and was assisted by St. Lawrence, Hartford, West Bend, Kohlsville and Kewaskum fire departments. All fire departments cleared from the scene by 4:20 a.m.
Photo courtesy Washington Co. Sheriff’s Department
Fire officials determined the fire originated in the basement near a dehumidifier. Preliminary estimates are that the structure sustained $40,000 in smoke and water damage.
The subsequent investigation revealed the dehumidifier was a make and model that may have been subject to either a stop sale notice from the manufacturer or possibly a recall. The fire remains under investigation.
The Sheriff’s Office urges residents to thoroughly research the recall history of any dehumidifiers in use.
One such resource is: