Photo Credit: Postcard, Old Ladies Howling at the Moon; Artist: Inge Look
Jan. 6, 2017 – Washington Co., WI – Washington County is under a wind chill advisory for the entire area until 10 a.m. today.
The current temperature is a strong 1°F. Bitter wind will be rushing in from the northwest around 5-10 miles per hour, lending a wind chill of -2 to -23; the coldest temperatures are expected to be near the Fond du lac and Sheboyan areas.
No closings have currently been reported.
If you must go out today, keep all exposed areas of skin covered to prevent frostbite.
- Some tips for preventing frostbite:
- Limit the time you must be outdoors. Try to stay in if at all possible.
- Dress in layers; keep the layers loose using warm clothing.
- Always wear a hat or headgear that covers the ears completely.
- Wear mittens instead of gloves; consider foot warmers.
- Wear socks and liners that fit well and provide insulation.
- Watch for signs of frostbite (pale skin, numbness and tingling)
- Make a plan if you need to travel. Keep emergency items in your trunk such as a blanket, extra warm clothing, etc.
- If you must be outdoors, stay well hydrated.
- Keep moving to maintain blood flow to all extremities.