Answers to WCI week in review Dec. 20 – 26, 2015
1) Karen Wyoscky directed her final Winter Choral Concert at the West Bend High Schools. What year did Wyoscky start in the school district and what song were the alumni invited on stage to sing? ANSWER: Hallelujah
2) Clara Moll turned 105 on Saturday, Dec. 19. What year was she born and who was President of the United States at the time? ANSWER: Moll was born Dec. 19, 1910. It was the same year William H. Taft was President of the United States
3) Enchantment in the Park tagged in on a popular theme sweeping the country. What special night did they host last week? ANSWER: Star Wars
4) West Bend Fire Department Local 2025 helped move the Albrecht Free Clinic to its new location, 908 W. Washington St. Name two of the businesses that previously operated out of that site. ANSWER: Verre Eye Clinic and Mathis Music
5) The Shed Resale and Consignment Store in Slinger is closing. In operation since 2010 the shop carried primarily items for men including sporting goods, tools and guy stuff. What was one of the more unique items owner Terry Lyon sold five years ago? Bonus point if you can name the guy who bought it? ANSWER: Braille Playboy. Current owner of the magazine is Billy Spiropoulos
6) Vintage photo trivia: A familiar shop from the 1940s – 1960s in Washington County. Can you name the 1) location 2) the man behind the counter 3) what’s there now?
ANSWER: Walter Schnrpf at Monaco Café. North Main Street. The Monaco Café was later torn down when the fire department was built on the corner of Seventh Avenue and Highway 33. Photo courtesy Jane Matenaer.
Salberg Law Firm is a strong supporter of Washington County History.