Jan. 19, 2018 – West Bend, WI – The building at 105 S. Seventh Ave., on the corner of S. Seventh Avenue and Hickory Street in West Bend has been sold.
Edward Daniels purchased the building for $180,000. The property was previously owned by Dan Fuge.
The 2017 assessment was $315,500.
Doug and Sally Fuge purchased the building in 1987 and they split it with Dan Fuge for $200,000.
Prior to that Tom Timblin owned the property.
On a history note: The post card, courtesy Terry Becker, features the second church Holy Angels built at Seventh and Elm in 1866 (lower right), and the old Holy Angels convent and school at Seventh and Hickory 1880 (upper right).
According to archives courtesy Holy Angels Church: In the year 1851, West Bend Catholics came together to buy two city lots for $15. By late 1852 the first church building had been erected. They called this church Mary, Mother of Sorrows.
However when Fr. Casper Rehrl built a church in Barton with the name St. Mary’s Immaculate Conception the decision was made to change the West Bend Parish’s name to Holy Angels to avoid any confusion.
By 1863 Holy Angels had outgrown the original building so two more lots were purchased, on the corner of 7th and Elm (currently where Trinity Lutheran stands), and in 1866 a new church was built.
This new church was able to hold the parish for almost 50 years. But the congregation was again growing so in 1913 plans to build a new church started forming.
Holy Angels classes were moved to the old high school building on 8th and Elm in 1926 after the new high school (Badger) was built in 1925.
A number of businesses occupied the old convent and school, 105 S. Seventh Avenue, including the Wiskirchen Schoolhouse Tavern and Landvatter’s TV & Appliance.