March 15, 2023 – I am sure you have seen an ad on TV that states that Dan Kelly defended child sex predators and are shocked to learn this.
It runs numerous times every day. This is the voiceover from that TV ad: “Dan Kelly won’t keep our communities safe. As a lawyer, Kelly defended child sex predators who posed as ministers in order to prey on vulnerable young girls. They lured young children to locations they believe to be safe, only to sexually assault and molest them. And Dan Kelly defended those monsters. Do you want someone like that on the Supreme Court? Dan Kelly. An extremist who doesn’t care about us.”
This ad is false, misleading, and unethical. It is in reference to a 1998 trial of Kenneth Spaulding and his wife.
First, Dan was a young lawyer who was hired by a commercial litigation law firm. For some reason, the firm took on the Spaulding defense. Early in the case, the firm assigned Dan Kelly as attorney of record from Feb 1998 to Aug 1998. He withdrew as the Spaulding’s counsel and later left the law firm. Kelly had nothing to do with the defense at trial.
Second, the ad makes it sound like Dan chose to represent the Spauldings or was involved someway in the crime. Absolutely false.
Third, a jury convicted Spaulding and sent him to prison for 80 years.
This ad is a lie, unethical, and should disqualify Janet Protasiewicz from being any kind of judge.
Vote Dan Kelly for Wisconsin Supreme Court on April 4.
Milwaukee County Case Number 1997CF975794 State of Wisconsin vs. Kenneth Dwight Spaulding
Milwaukee County Case Number 1998CF980149 State of Wisconsin vs. Rhonda Spaulding
Please also note:
WASHINGTONCOUNTYINSIDER.COM (WCI) COMMENTING RULES OF ETIQUETTE: While open and honest debate is encouraged here, Washington County Insider asks that you comply with the following rules for posting. Those who do not comply will have their posts removed and may result in being banned from commenting.
In an effort to provide a great experience and be welcoming to everyone, Washington County Insider will not publish comments and reserves the right to remove posts on social media/Facebook that doesn’t adhere to the guidelines below.
- Are considered likely to provoke, attack or offend others. This is known as “trolling.” Trollers know when they are trolling, and so do we. *See the definition of “troll” below. If you notice a few consistent blog trolls disappear, you’ll know why.
- Are sexually explicit, abusive, or otherwise objectionable.
- Contains inappropriate or vulgar language that is likely to offend.
- Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation, and contempt of court.
- Advertise products or services for profit.
- Are seen impersonating someone else.
- Repeatedly post the same or similar messages (‘spam’)
- Include personal contact details such as telephone numbers and postal or email addresses.
- Include a link or photo that has not been approved by the editor prior to posting.
- Are considered campaigning. See also “trolling” above.
- Are unrelated to the topic.
- Just because your comment doesn’t show up right away doesn’t mean you’re being censored. When you post a comment it must first go through our filtering software. If it fails, your comment goes into a queue for manual approval.
- Just because a comment or advertisement is on the site, doesn’t mean WCI endorses it.
- The above rules are not intended to stop criticism or dissenters, but rather to stop those who are incapable of participating in a civilized manner.
*Trolling: a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion, often for the troll’s amusement. (source: Wikipedia)
All letters to the editor for the April 4, 2023, General Election must be submitted by end of business day, March 24, 2023.
Marie Graziano, thank you for posting this. More people need to hit back against the lying and corruption in politics and campaigning in particular. No matter who is responsible!
Thank you for setting the record straight. People that engage in deception should never be elected to positions of trust and responsibility.