Nov. 8, 2018 – West Bend, WI – Kenneth J. Martens, 79, died Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2018 at his home in West Bend. Judie, his loving wife of 56 years, was at his side.
Ken was born May 26, 1939 in Neillsville, Wisconsin. After graduating from Loyal High School in 1957, he served 3 years in the U.S. Marine Corps and was honorably discharged with the rank of Corporal. Ken and Judie were married March 3, 1962.
After a 28-year career with Thorp Finance/ITT Consumer Financial, Ken and a partner started and for over 10 years operated a successful mortgage brokerage and bank in Menomonee Falls.
Throughout his life, Ken was an outdoorsman. He enjoyed fishing trips—17 to Alaska, 37 to Canada—and almost never missed opening weekend of gun deer season or the spring turkey hunt. He was a tireless volunteer, serving in leadership positions on his church council, the Richfield Historical Society and, for almost 20 years, the American Red Cross.
After the 2001 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center, Ken spent 5 weeks on the east coast with the Red Cross helping families of victims. He spent 3-week Red Cross stints volunteering after natural disasters in Minnesota, Kentucky, Tennessee and Louisiana.
Ken’s retirement was filled with writing, painting, travel, his beloved grandchildren and several months among friends and family each winter in Mexico.
Ken is survived by his wife Judie, son Todd (Lori Hanes) Martens, daughters Tamara (John) Dunn and Tracy Martens, grandchildren Katie Hanes, John Kenneth, Lily and Harrison Dunn, and Talia and Zhain Alkhoury.
He also leaves behind sisters Nancy Arthur of Menomonee Falls, Tena Winkler of Green Bay, Susan Murphy (Jerome) of Spencer; brothers Allen (Donna) Schlinsog of Wisconsin Rapids and Norman (Vicki) Schlinsog of Granton; and many in-laws, nieces, nephews and friends.
Visitation is Sunday, Nov. 11 at Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church
1350 Hwy 175, Hubertus from 1 p.m. until 2:30 p.m. with service to follow.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorials to Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church.