Washington Co., WI – Rosemary is the perfect foil for the sweet buttercream. Mmmmm. Wouldn’t you love these on your Holiday cookie plate?
Rosemary Butter Sandwich Cookies
These sweet and buttery sandwich cookies are the perfect foil for savory herbs such as rosemary. Paired with the orange blossom water buttercream (recipe below), they are decadent treats!
2/3 cup butter, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon milk
2 teaspoons dried rosemary, finely chopped or broken
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
Let’s make ’em! Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
1. Beat butter in a large mixing bowl until softened. Add about half the flour and mix well. Add sugar & rosemary, egg, milk, baking powder, vanilla, & salt. Beat until combined well. Beat or stir in remaining flour.
2. Divide dough in half, cover, and chill about 3 hours or until easy to handle.
3. Roll each half of the dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a knife or cookie cutters or a glass dipped in flour, cut dough into desired shapes. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 7 minutes or until done – do not brown the cookies. Cool on the cookie sheet for one minute. Remove cookies from the sheet; cool on a wire rack.
5. Thickly spread the back of one cookie with the Orange Blossom Buttercream (recipe below) and top with the backside of a second cookie to make a sandwich.
Makes about 2 dozen – 2-inch round sandwich cookies
Click HERE for the Orange Blossom Buttercream.