Jan. 3, 2018 – Town of Wayne, WI – Join Peggy Kober on this tour of the Bridget Center in the Town of Wayne. The fieldstone building is formerly St. Bridget Church.
A bit of the history on the building on Townline Road is below.
The 3.23 acres of land, presently known as Bridget Center, Inc., a nonprofit organization promoting ecological sustainability, peace and nourishment has the following ownership lineage:
The land was originally a part of the Milwaukee Territory.
1853 Purchased by Phillip Ryan. Records are unclear how many times ownership changed.
1851 John Martin (or Meatin) gave the property to the Archdiocese of Milwaukee, for it to be known as St. Bridget Church.
1998 St. Bridget was closed by the Archdiocese of Milwaukee.
2000 Archdiocese of Milwaukee transferred title to Holy Trinity Church, Kewaskum
2011 Holy Trinity Parish sold St. Bridget to Brian and Peggy Kober for $90,000.
2011 On this same day 12/05/11, IRS issued the nonprofit charitable status to Bridget Center, Inc.
2012 On 9/17/12 the property was placed within the container of the 501c3 known as Bridget Center, Inc.
St. Bridget Cemetery remains in the care of Holy Trinity Catholic Church.
More information can be found at bridgetcenter.org