Dehumidifier sparks basement fire Monday morning on Fairview Drive in Town of Wayne



Nov. 13, 2017 – Town of Wayne, WI – On Monday, Nov. 13, 2017 at approximately 11:21 a.m., the owner of a single family residence located in the 8500 block of Fairview Drive, Town of Wayne, contacted the Washington County Sheriff’s Office to report a dehumidifier in her basement was on fire.

Deputies and firefighters from the Kohlsville Fire Department were subsequently dispatched to the scene.

Assistance was also requested from the Allenton, Campbellsport, Kewaskum, Lomira, St. Lawrence, Theresa, and West Bend Fire Departments.

Upon their arrival, deputies observed light to moderate smoke emitting from the residence.

Firefighters quickly located and extinguished a small fire in the basement.  There were no reports of civilian or firefighter injury.

Fairview Drive between Wayne Center Drive and Wilson Drive was closed to through traffic for approximately 1.5 hours to facilitate overhaul and clean-up operations.

The residence sustained approximately $15,000 in smoke damage.

An on scene investigation revealed the following:  A homeowner unplugged a portable dehumidifier after hearing it make a strange noise.  A short time later, the homeowner observed the dehumidifier started on fire.  The homeowner ran upstairs, called 911, and exited the residence.  The cause of the fire is not believed to be suspicious.

Authority:  Lt. Robert Stuesser


Cedar Lake Sales
Cedar Lake Sales

  1. Posted by Jack Krisel

Add Your Comment

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By :