August 21, 2019 – Washington Co., WI – The Executive Director of Visit Washington County Elaine Motl presented her annual report this week to the Executive Committee.
Thank you for this opportunity to submit our annual report regarding the growth of Tourism in Washington County. Below are facts and figures outlining our growth and attached are copies of advertising placed in 2019 with your financial support.
Per the Wisconsin Department of Tourism, for every $1 spent $7 is returned. That number then multiplies 6 times as it changes hands in the county. (Your $45,000 contribution can indirectly generate $1,890,000.)
The Wisconsin Department of Tourism puts out an Annual Report of Visitor Spending per County and with your financial support we once again INCREASED the revenue to Washington County!
Here are the facts: 2011 – $93.2 million in visitor spending in Washington County 2012 – $100.3 million in visitor spending in Washington County 2013 – $106.2 million in visitor spending in Washington County 2014 – $111.7 million in visitor spending in Washington County 2015 – $115.1 million in visitor spending in Washington County 2016 – $118.0 million in visitor spending in Washington County 2017 – $119.7 million in visitor spending in Washington County 2018 – $126.7 million in visitor spending in Washington County
AND in 2018 – $253.7 million in total business sales was generated which includes numbers for those employed in the tourism industry in Washington County and direct business growth related to tourism in Washington County.
Due to the increase in advertising expense and a push to advertise directly to those attending 2020 conferences in Milwaukee – Visit Washington County’s request for 2020 funding is $50,000.
Below is a summary of our accomplishments. • Extensive advertising campaigns reached residents in the northern suburbs of Chicago, visitors to the Milwaukee area, around the state of Wisconsin and the Midwest.
• Washington County hotels saw an increase in bookings in every city in the county.
• Features in 60,000 Visitor Guides distributed throughout the United States. 15,000 copies were inserted into the Chicago Daily Herald.
• Brochures distributed during Washington County Day at the Wisconsin State Fair.
• Brochures distributed at: Washington County Fair Park, Cabela’s, Kettle Moraine Forests, member locations, Lomira Wayside and Gateway Visitors Centers around the state.
• Promotion on visitwashingtoncounty.com website with 228,563 visits in 2018.
• Extremely active on social media with followers on Twitter, Facebook and INSTAGRAM with a combined 3,804 social media followers.
• Recent news features on Spectrum News 1.
Marketing Plan A comprehensive marketing plan will continue to be used to spend dollars wisely in 2020 to attract specific target markets to the region. Washington County promoted in all publications, including “earned media” or articles on the county attractions. – Wisconsin Golf Digest – Wisconsin Golf Directory – Key Milwaukee Magazine – Journal Topics Newspapers – Chicago Daily Herald – Travel Wisconsin Official Travel Guide – Midwest Living Magazine – Brewers Yearbook – Packers Yearbook
Social Media Numerous Tweets, Facebook and Instagram posts will continue promoting events and attractions. Plans to add social media advertising and a YouTube channel.
Thank you so much for all your past support!
Respectfully, Elaine Motl, Executive Director Visit Washington County www.visitwashingtoncounty.com 262-677-5069